Anabolic steroids and alcohol – possible side effects
Every athlete taking steroids sooner or later asks whether it is possible to drink alcohol during the course. There are many opinions regarding the effect of alcohol on the body in combination with anabolic steroids, however, one thing unites them; a clear position that steroids and alcohol are incompatible.
This question is of interest to so many athletes, and most are guided by personal beliefs. In most cases, all the beliefs of knowledgeable people are based on general concepts and possible side effects. In this article, we will examine in more detail the interaction of anabolic steroids and alcohol.
On the one hand, we can say that taking a small amount of alcohol somewhere during the holiday will not cause fatal harm to health and will not erase the sports achievements over the years. On the other hand, it is absolutely true that the systematic intake of alcohol is incompatible with either sports or with a normal lifestyle.
What are anabolic steroids?
Anabolics are pharmacological drugs that enhance the effects of anabolic processes. The anabolic steroids effects are to accelerate protein synthesis inside cells, which leads to severe hypertrophy of muscle tissue. In general, this process is an anabolism, as a result of which anabolic steroids is one of the main drugs in bodybuilding. The action of anabolic steroids is divided into two areas: anabolic activity and androgenic activity. You can read more about the effects of anabolic steroids in this article.
Alcohol is ethyl alcohol (ethanol), and in a broad sense – alcohol-containing drinks. Ethanol in a number of complex reactions involving alcohol dehydrogenase and some coenzymes is first oxidized to acetic aldehyde. And then, with the participation of other enzymes, acetaldehyde is processed into acetic acid, which ultimately breaks down into water and carbon dioxide.
Effects of alcohol on a sportsmen body
For maximum results on the course, athletes adhere to a strict diet, in which there is no alcohol. There are many reasons for this:
- alcohol increases the concentration of cortisol, which negatively affects the growth of muscle tissue. Cortisol is a “stress” hormone. The body perceives the use of alcohol as stress, so the synthesis of cortisol increases. And the consequence is the acceleration of the destruction of muscle proteins. Thus, the adoption of alcohol acts in the opposite direction to the efforts of the bodybuilder and significantly reduces them.
- there is a huge risk of developing an ulcer. Alcohol acts negatively on the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines. Long-term use of large doses of alcohol leads to peptic ulcer.
- alcohol increases the risk of cardiovascular disease;
- alcohol reduces the concentration of glycogen, which acts as the main source of energy during the construction of muscle tissue;
- when interacting, even the safest anabolics and alcohol can lead to increased aggressiveness and loss of self-control;
- alcohol increases appetite;
- it is the cause of dehydration, as alcohol is a powerful diuretic.
- alcohol is a very high-calorie product (approximately 5-7 kcal / 1 g), in addition, it slows down the metabolism.
- deteriorates coordination of movements, concentration and speed of reaction, contributing to injury;
- the increased consumption of vitamins and minerals arises as a result of the fact that the effect of alcohol on the body is poisoning, to cure from which the body spends a lot of its resources, which we need so much for muscle growth.
Alcohol and recovery after training
Alcohol is able to interfere with the recovery of muscle tissue after exercise and acute injury. Basically, its negative effect is due to the influence of alcohol on the tone of blood vessels: drinking alcohol leads to the expansion of the walls of blood vessels and a decrease in tone.
Injured or recovering from hard training, athletes usually use ice on the affected area in order to cause vasospasm and reduce edema. Alcohol acts in the opposite direction – expanding blood vessels, which leads to increased edema, lengthening the time required for recovery.
Are there positive effects of alcohol?
It is a popular myth that alcohol in moderation has a positive effect on heart function. This is only partially true and not for those involved in sports. At the same time, it definitely negatively affects the liver.
Most often, studies on the benefits of alcohol (such as wine) are sponsored by companies that produce alcohol. For example, they tell that red wine is a great antioxidant. However, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and indeed all kinds of vegetables and fruits have the same excellent effect.
In addition, the use of beer, for example, negatively affects the figure, especially men. It contains phytoestrogen – a female sex hormone of plant origin. If you consume beer excessively, phytoestrogen will quantitatively exceed the content of the male sex hormone testosterone, which emphasizes masculinity, makes men broad-shouldered and strong, and in itself is a powerful fat burner.
Negative effects of alcohol and anabolic steroids
Alcohol increases the risk of such negative effects in combination with steroids:
- acne (rash throughout the body, including the face);
- the development of secondary sexual characteristics (in men it manifests itself in the form of deterioration of sperm quality, growth of mammary glands, testicular dysfunction; in women – the growth of facial hair, coarsening of the voice, impaired sexual function);
- infertility (during the course, the speed of sperm is temporarily slowed down, but in the combination of anabolic steroids and alcohol this process can become permanent);
- baldness (hair loss is one of the most common side effects that is exacerbated by alcohol).
Conclusion on anabolic steroids and alcohol
For a professional athlete, drinking alcohol during a steroid course is a taboo. Alcohol not only worsens muscle growth after training but can also lead to more serious consequences. In addition, recovery after training is also deteriorating.
Of course, it’s the choice of every athlete to drink alcohol on a steroid course or not. But in this case, you need to decide which is more important – muscle mass or bad habits. You can order the best anabolics for muscle growth in our store.